Friday, August 23, 2013

After Forever Ends : Review

After Forever Ends by Melodie Ramone: Review


Orphaned by her mother and brushed off by her dad, fifteen year old Silvia Cotton had lived a lonely life. That is until 1985 when her father moved the family from the Highlands of Scotland to the Midlands of Wales. It is there she was enrolled in Bennington, a private boarding school, met the charming and rebellious Dickinson twins, Oliver and Alexander, and her regrettable life was changed forever.

Locked into a fierce friendship with Alexander and lost to a whirlwind romance with Oliver, Silvia found herself torn away from everything she thought she knew. Married too soon, she moved with Oliver to a rustic cabin deep in a Welsh wood and embarked upon a life she'd never planned for, surviving on hope she never knew existed and faith she never knew she had. She made her way through university and onto a career, only to surrender her ambition to raising her children and living a life that was strikingly "normal". But what is normal? Certainly not what ensued in the wood.

True love, faeries, friendship, loves lost and gained. Old magic, fate, doubt, strength and courage, Silvia's story could belong to anyone, but it is her own. Simple yet extraordinary, told in retrospect with wit and candor, Silvia recalls a life of joy and sorrow, laughter and tears. As she unravels the tangled web of her days, she reveals the secrets that exist in an ancient wood, how hearts given freely can become the stuff of magic, and how true happiness was never any further than her own back garden.




My Review:

My first introduction to After Forever Ends was through a blog roll. I noticed a post from an author explaining why she wrote the book she did, After Forever Ends. I remember reading that post and thinking one word: PASSION. This writer has put her all into this book. Just from the way she wrote that post on her blog persuaded me to put After Forever Ends on my To Be Read list. Not long after that did I have the pleasure of making the acquaintance of the lovely author herself, Melodie Ramone, via social networking and that just projected me further to purchasing the book.

After Forever Ends follows the story of a girl from Scotland who moves to Wales as a teenager and meets these identical twin boys at her new school. It follows the progression of her life from about age 15 to 85. There are many ups and downs along the way. It kept me hooked from beginning to end. I absolutely loved the characters. I felt as if they were friends/family/lovers in my own life. Silvia and Oliver's relationship reminded me very much of my own with my husband. Always laughing/being silly and deeply in love. We make our friends sick. Even though Silvia and Oliver's relationship drew me in, it was Alexander (Oliver's twin brother) that I had the hots for. It's gotta be that bad boy image. Gets me everytime. I'm such a sucker.

You really get pulled into the world Silvia, Oliver, and Alex create in the wood. You start believeing in faeries. You laugh when they laugh and cry when they cry. I was emotionally torn by this book toward the end. I won't tell you what happened but I will tell you that someone dies and I was so broken up about it that I had to put the book down for a couple of weeks. I actually felt like I had lost an actual family member--not a character in a book. I tried picking it back up after those few weeks, read two sentences and started bawling again!!! I eventually finished and was very glad I did. What a great read.  

I had the pleasure to connect with Melodie Ramone (how cool is her name?), the author of After Forever Ends, via social networking. She and I swapped emails back and forth and I have to say it was her passion for her story and her overall personality that gave me that extra push to purchase and read After forever Ends. In no way, shape, or form did meeting her online encourage this excellent review. The story speaks for itself.

5 out of 5 Stars!!!!



Happy Reading,

Jeanette P

No comments:

Post a Comment