Sunday, March 24, 2013

Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Review: Matched by Ally Condie


In the Society, Officials decide. Who you love. Where you work. When you die.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It’s hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one… until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she’s known and a path no one else has ever dared follow — between perfection and passion.




~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My Review:

So I've seen many reviews on Matched all over the web. Goodreads, various YA blogs, etc. They all seemed to like it. Most gave it four stars. I'll have to do the same and this is why.

I honestly didn't want to pay like over $10 for the ebook so when I came across Matched at a children's book fair (paperback) for $6.99, I jumped on that like free grand slams at Denny's.

It's an expertly written book. Very deep characters and a truly intriguing story. The only issue I had was that it was lacking action. Even in the scenes where you would expect suspenseful action, like many dystopians, this one feel flat. I consider it a semi-dystopian novel.

The cover is gorgeous as you can see, all three in the series have fantastic covers. I'm almost finished with the second book today, so the review for that one will come shortly.

I liked Cassia. She is a good strong main character. I fall in love with Ky, but for some reason Cassia overlooks Xander which I think is a big mistake. I'm hoping the second and third books will rediscover this issue.

Even though the love scenes are quite chaste, they are deep. I was hoping for a little more on that front as well, they are trying to outsmart the society by having a secret love affair. Give us some heat people, but then again this book can definitely be suitable for younger teens as well.

All in all, I thought it was a great read. Hey, it was good enough for me to purchase the second book. Usually if the first book couldn't hold my interest enough there was no way I was buying the second book and I didn't even wait to find it at a cheaper price. I went against my beliefs and purchased an ebook over $10. Argh!!! But I hope it will be worth it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

***Read an excerpt from Culture Shock, my debut novel and a love story with a dangerous edge.

Learn more about me on my website:
http://jeanettepekala.com/

Follow me on Twitter or Pinterest: @JeanettePekala

Like my Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/JeanettePekalaAuthor

2 comments:

  1. I really loved Matched, too. :) I loved the writing style and the poetry. But I wasn't able to read the second one already. So I wish you happy reading :)

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matched was really good. I hate to discourage you, but Crossed (book #2)was kind of a disappointment after Matched. I'm trying to build up the drive to read Reached (#3). By the way #2 ended it should be good, but I'm still thinking it's going to fall flat like Crossed did. Still a very good series. Definitely an 8 on a scale from 1-10.

      Delete