Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Time for Writing

When do you find time to Write?


A popular question I'm always asked is: "When do you find time to write?". With 2 kids, a deployed husband and a full-time job I don't have much time, but I love to write. For things you love, you will always find time to do them.

When my husband is not on deployment, I take a couple of hours to myself and write. I either lock myself in my bedroom and go to town on my current piece or I hit up a coffee shop with a wifi connection.

When I'm at home and my husband is deployed leaving me sans babysitter, I wait until the kids go to bed at 8pm and then instead of watching TV like most Americans do, I write.

I couldn't tell you what popular shows are on TV currently. I haven't watched TV for enjoyment in several months. Maybe some Nick At Nite to shut the ol' brain down so I can sleep, but other than that nada, zip, zilch....

I can usually get in 2-4 hours writing each night by following this schedule. On particularly drained days or completely uncreative days, I opt out of writing because everyone needs a break, but I am also a firm believer if you want to be a writer, you need to write something every day.

One thing I want to point out is that I don't wait until 8pm to start thinking like a writer or about my current projects. I do that all day long. Just this weekend I was making homemade pasta sauce and an idea for one of my projects struck me. I had to put down the spoon and pull out my trusty black and white marbled composition book and jot down my idea while it was still fresh. Later that night I brought it to life on the page.

I'm excited that I may not have to type late at night anymore. My mom-in-law got me Dragon software for Christmas where you speak into a mic and it types it for you. I didn't even know such a product existed. I'm so thrilled I cannot wait to try it out.

If you have any comments or feedback on using Dragon software for writing let me know. I'd love to hear how it has worked out for you. I'll let you know how it works for me in a future post.

My new book, CULTURE SHOCK will be coming out before the end of the month. Click here to read an excerpt.

Follow me on Twitter @JeanettePekala

Be my friend on Goodreads: Jeanette Pekala

Find out more about me and my debut YA series, CULTURE SHOCK at http://jeanettepekala.com/

Thanks for visiting!!!!

Happy Reading,

Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment