Friday, December 28, 2012

Author Quotes - Writing Tips from Famous Authors

Famous Author Quotes, Writing Tips from Famous Authors 


I thought this would be a pretty cool post: quotes from well known authors. Some writing tips are helpful, some funny and some interesting. Here's the list I've compiled. Enjoy!


“If you want to be a writer,” says Stephen King , “you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.”

***

When asked what was the most frightening thing he had ever encountered, novelist Ernest Hemingway said, “A blank sheet of paper.”

***

Erica Jong–who in “Seducing the Demon” defined a writer as “someone who takes the universal whore of language and turns her into a virgin again”

***

Kurt Vonnegut: “Find a subject you care about and which you in your heart feel others should care about. It is this genuine caring, and not your games with language, which will be the most compelling and seductive element in your style.”

***

James Patterson’s method is simple: “I’m always pretending that I’m sitting across from somebody. I’m telling them a story, and I don’t want them to get up until it’s finished.”

***

Show, don't tell. This advice comes out of most every writing class taught. Chekhov said it most clearly when he said, "Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."

***

John Steinbeck:  "I’ve always tried out material on my dogs first."

***
 
Prioritze your writing. “Let the grass die. I let almost all of my indoor plants die from neglect while I was writing the book. There are all kinds of ways to live. You can take your choice. You can keep a tidy house, and when St. Peter asks you what you did with your life, you can say, I kept a tidy house, I made my own cheese balls.” ~ Annie Dillard.
 
***
 
 
That's it for now. I hope you enjoyed this list of writing tips from famous authors. Now if you want to read an excerpt from an up and coming author, you can click here and read the first chapter of CULTURE SHOCK....to be released in January 2013.
 
Follow me on Twitter @JeanettePekala
 
 
Be my friend on Goodreads.com: Jeanette Pekala
 
 
Visit my website to learn more: http://jeanettepekala.com/
 
 
I love hearing from you. Comment anything, anytime. Thanks!
 
 
Happy Reading!
 
Jeanette
 
 
Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment