Thursday, September 27, 2012

Random Topic Thursday: How long have you ever gone without sleep?

It's that time again....random topic Thursday.

I ask a random question and you answer honestly. It's a fun break from the norm. The world of writing isn't always a walk i nthe park so every Thursday (when I'm not slammed at my 9-5...shhh, don't tell), I like to throw a curve ball and ask a completely random off-the-wall question.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU EVER GONE WITHOUT SLEEP?

I was in my senior year of college. It was final exam time and I had worked all weekend (and partied) so when it came to Sunday night when things started to settle down, I started going through my books and syllabi and realized that I have 4 final exams on Monday!!!!! Holy Cow! What is a girl to do?

This is what I did. I'm not proud of it and I've never done it again, but I was desperate. My friend was ADHD and I knew she had a script for Adderall. I hit her up for one and let me tell you I was WIRED. No amount of coffee could get me to stay awake for as long as I needed. I wasn't just wired but I was focused. I was able to study for all 4 tests for 14 hours straight before my first exam began. No lie.

The 24 hour time-released tablet helped with the last minute studying but since I wasn't prescribed the medication it affected me differently. I ended up staying awake for 5 days....5 DAYS!!!! I couldn't sleep no matter what. But by the 5th day after working an 8 hour shift, I crashed. I crashed hard. I've never used prescription drugs since and never will again, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. How's that for honesty?

Sooooooo, how long have you ever gone without sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment