Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Starstruck" by Cyn Balog

I was reading "Starstruck" by Cyn Balog during a pretty fierce thunderstorm. I'm talking 40 mph winds and tons of rain. My AC went out too, so I had to endure the storm with the windows open. Lucky me! The reason I mention this is because there was a terrible suspenseful storm in the book and it scared the bejesus out of me while reading it during my own crazy storm. There was no terrential flooding like in the novel, but I feared at any second a tree would be whipped by the wind, snap, and land in my living room. Paranoid? Maybe.

 Anyways, "Starstruck" is essentially a love story. Usually when I read a love story, the heroine is some gorgeous, thin girl. The heroine in "Startstruck" is a normal girl with weight issues. It was good to see the big girls get noticed every once in a while. It is an unconventional love story, but mostly it comes down to this: the two people in the relationship get so hung up on appearances, they lose themselves. In totally different ways, but it's all the same in the end.

The greatest thing about this young adult novel is the confident boost it gives you. Especially for teenage girls that are ever self-conscious (I know, because not too long ago, I was one), you learn that to just be yourself is the greatest thing in the world. You don't have to be like everyone else to be accepted or to be you. Just believe in yourself and know that you are beautiful and unique and that is the most wonderful thing in the world. There is only one you. Believe in yourself.

If you want find out more about "Starstruck" or the other novels by Cyn Balog; "Fairy Tale" and Sleepless", visit her website at cynbalog.com

Happy Reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment