Friday, July 22, 2011

"Love in the Time of Cholera" = Torture

I picked up "Love in the Time of Cholera" to read because it was a title that stuck in my head of one I've heard before. When I first started reading for enjoyment a year ago, I started reading books I've heard of but never read or pick one of the classics (which I've never read as well). The title of this book, that I believed was a classic, is what drew me to it. I started reading it, hoping that it was a great story.
It was excruciating! I don't know if it was from the translation from Spanish to English that caused the characters to be named with full names each time their names were mentioned. It was too wordy for me. The pages barely had any paragraph breaks and there were black letters sprawling from one edge of the page to the other. It was exhausting. 

The book spans a time span of about  80 years. It lost my interest 3/4 of the way through and I was not able to find it. It was torture and I found myself putting the book down to clean the house. That's saying a lot for me. I hate cleaning. 

The original version in Spanish written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez may have been a little more "readable", but the English version was torture. I hate to write negative reviews on books I've read. But to be honest, I believe this story is a waste of your time. Pick something else to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment