Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Not Much of a Reader"

All my life, I've never been much of a reader. I used to do poorly on the reading comprehension section of standardized tests. I would even get the cliff notes to any book before even trying to attempt to read it.Over summer break in school, we used to be assigned a reading list. I would pick the books that had movies produced and do my book report on the story through the movie of the book. I tried everything in order not to read. Just recently within the past year, I've discovered literature. I always knew it was there, but never saw the positive points of reading. I've been exploring the classics and trying to educate myself in all I've been missing. I've also just realized that I enjoy writing. I've always had a knack for it. On essay tests, I would make up things and ace the test. It was always amazing to me that I could write total b.s. and come out a winner. Due to my small case of insecurity, I've been avoiding showing my work to anyone and I figured blogging would get me over that hump and show me to embrace my love of writing. Little hints of support from my friends and family members have helped me get going on this.

So over the past year, I've been diving into literature first hand mostly looking toward the classics and working my way out. Recently, I've read romance, action, science fiction, etc. Currently, I'm reading a book by Ernest Hemingway, "The Sun Also Rises". I'm almost through with the book and will post my comments of what I think about went I'm through. To be frank, I don't see the big deal about Ernest Hemingway as of yet, but I'm going to be open-minded. He is one of the greatest writers of our time.



No comments:

Post a Comment