Friday, March 18, 2011

"Memoirs of a Geisha" - First Impressions

I haven't seen the movie and I've just started the book. I've always been interested in the life and mysteries of the geisha. I always wanted to know more about them but never took the time to investigate. This book has given me the platform to do so. I started reading it a couple days ago. It usually takes me a while to read a book because I have 2 children and a husband and home to take care of, so I don't have much free time. When I do get free time, I grab my book.

My first impression of "Memoirs of a Geisha" is that is a compelling and intriguing story. I was drawn in immediately into the story. The main character is a real person and she is telling her experiences of becoming and being a geisha. It is considered fiction, but it is very much based on a real life story and events.

When I was 5 years old, I was a geisha for Halloween (I'll have to find that picture and post it). Ever since then, I've been captivated by anything geisha. Though through the years the only things I've known about geisha is the way they look; their hair, make-up, and kimono. I've also known that they perform dances and tea ceremony and entertain men, but other than that I have no clue. This book has so far given me the opportunity to dig into a world which is foreign to me.  The imagery is intense and descriptions are massive throughout the book. You are able to visual the setting and characters very well.

The book title is "Memoirs of a Geisha" and the authors name is Arthur Golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment